Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Windows 7 RC Rockin the Dual Boot

Just got Windows 7 RC instaled on my Sony Vaio VGN-CR320E. I always regretted not jumping on the first beta chance so I figured I'd get on the Windows 7 train right away the first time. Plus I had been looking for a reason to re-purpose that partition with Ubuntu installed from my last dual boot experiment(a subject for another post).

And there was the issue. One of those tiny nagging whispering in your ear issues. You know, the thing that you think about when your finger is a fraction of an inch above the "your going to screw things up button". One word...GRUB. Oh sure Vista makes repartitioning very easy so I just blew away the Ubuntu volumes and moved on...not so fast Sparky. GRUB still owns your master boot record...suddenly that nagging issue switched to shouting to get my attention. A quick Google led me to the prescribed method for reclaiming my MBR from GRUB and all was good.

Once that monkey motion was complete Windows 7 installed without a hitch, wireless hooked up (using full bandwidth...are you listening Ubuntu?...again...that's another post) and here I am posting using a box stock Windows 7 install.

No comments: