Thursday, September 03, 2009

Palm Needs to Work on Their Backup Scheme

The concept behind Palm's Backup/Restore on the Palm Pre is solid...on the surface anyway. Tie it to your profile and make it dead easy for regular back ups. Need to restore? Reset, sign in, hit the "easy button" and watch it happen. But its got some holes that need to be addressed.

On the subject of back ups. Maybe I should have realized that my pictures weren't being backed up. After all that's a lot of data. Seems like the user manual is pretty darn quiet on this little tidbit, but fine I'll take my lumps. I will not, however, cut you ANY slack for not backing up my bookmarks. That. Really. SUCKS!

Now...restores. You need to give the user some control on what gets restored. I'm sure the "easy button" approach seemed like a good idea at the time but as I learned the hard way a remote wipe on an Exchange accountcan really ruin your day...over and over and over again. Automatically restoring all email accounts is a bad thing when its one of the email accounts that is causing your problems. This will only get more important as the number of apps grow. Sooner or later your gonna get a rogue app that won't let go of your device even after a reset and restore. Just a quick Advanced Options button would do the trick.

No comments: