Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Remote Wipe Palm Pre Death Loop

Sure, the Palm Pre isn't technically a "supported" device at our company when its comes to syncing with Exchange. But hey, it follows all the security protocols thanks to the 1.1.0 update. I got it to work so what the heck and its great.

So after 2 blissful weeks of syncing my Pre with Exchange at work the phone suddenly hard reset. Wait...what? How could this be?!?!? The Pre had been a paragon of stability. After a seemingly interminable amount of time the Pre begins booting, I sign into my profile and it dutifully restores itself from last night's back up...perfect! Reboot...connect...start syncing...BAM! Hard reset. What the frimmin-fratz is going on here? I endure the same process two more times and then I resign myself to the fact that my Pre will need to be replaced.

Cue the Sprint Mogul sulking on the sidelines...put me in coach! I activate the Mogul fire it up, set up some email accounts and then set up Exchange sync. Log in...good... prompt for PIN settings...good...BAM! Hard reset...uh oh, something is amiss in Exchange land.

A persistent nagging thought makes its way to the front of the line for my consideration. You sir, have been remote wiped. No wonder my Pre kept resetting. The restore includes my Exchange account and when it tried to reconnect the remote wipe was waiting there to kill my device again.

Now, how do I stop the Remote Wipe death loop? Finally it comes to me, change my password at work. Bingo! Now the when my Pre attempts re-connect, sorry sir no joy, wrong password. Phew.

The folks who control our Exchange server reset the wipe command and didn't make a stink about me hooking the Pre up but also didn't (won't?) divulge what kicked off the remote wipe. I am hesitant to try it again but I really miss having my work stuff on my device. One thing for sure is that I will separately back up my blankity-blankin pictures before I do...a subject for another post.

No comments: